A coffee brewing device, an espresso machine works by forcing hot water under high pressure through ground coffee placed in an internal filter. The final product that comes from the pressurized water and coffee is what many term as “espresso”.
There are many types of espresso makers in the market today, and all brew coffee differently. There are those that can mix coffee with other liquids (milk for example) to make latte or cappuccino. This machine can also be used to alter it’s taste and flavor by altering water pressure and the filter’s grind.
With many models out there, determining the best one to buy can be intimidating. It is for this reason why we have compiled a review of the top espresso makers under $500. These are:
1. Breville Bes840XL
The Breville BES840XL is a semi-automatic espresso machine, meaning it can be operated both manually and automatically. This machine comes with a stainless steel coil (for boiling water), an electronic PID (for controlling temperature), a cup warming tray and a single 61oz water tank.
Available in Stainless Steel, Black & Cranberry Red, this model typically costs nearly $800, but you can get it for less than $500 from Amazon (that’s nearly 40% off it’s retail price!)
The best thing about it is the fact that it can brew coffee automatically without any user intervention. All one has to do is set the amount needed, and the machine takes it from there. Another notable feature in this Breville is that it notifies you to clean or empty the tank when needed. This prevents clogging and dirt from forming around and within its nozzles. Should you use the machine and forget switching it off, its PID system detects inactivity and sends a switch off command. This is a great feature considering leaving an electronic device attached to the mains can cause fires or attract huge energy bills.
2. Delonghi Icona Pump Espresso Maker
Features and their functions
- Single button control: used to control and indicate the system’s functions.
- Dual-function filter: This filter makes it possible to prepare an easy serving espresso and compatible pods at the same time
- A cappuccino system: This is the sole system for mixing milk, air and steam for a rich and delicious cup of cappuccino.
- A removable 1.4l water tank: This makes cleaning and maintaining the water tank very easy. It also has a water level indicator which makes it very easy to determine when to refill or clean the reservoir.
- 2 thermostats and a self-priming system: The two thermostats control water and stem temperature individually. Its self-priming system helps make the machine usable within the shortest time possible.
3. Gaggia 14101 Classic Espresso Machine
This is considered to be a classical yet highly efficient model in the market today. It has a simplistic functioning and has self-sufficient port-filters that help maintain a constant brewing temperature.
Some of the features that make it exceptionally good are:
- Removable 72oz water reservoir: This helps sustain and make even more cups of coffee.
- Stainless-less steel casing: This is an important factor in the Gaggia 14101 Classic in that, it helps maintain water and steam temperatures constant for longer. The stainless steel casing is reinforced with brass port-fillers to reduce heat loss.
- High voltage boiler and a water dispenser. The high voltage boiler is meant to increase the machines efficiency to boil water and produce steam at relatively high temperatures.
4. Nespresso C60 Pixie Espresso Maker
The Nespresso C60 Pixie is a one in a kind espresso machine. It is popular for its small in size but big capabilities and capacity. It has a water reservoir hidden it its back, leaving only the handle, the drip tat and a funnel visible from the front. Its water reservoir can hold a maximum of 24oz of water, and this makes it a good home kitchen appliance. The only other distinctive function is its auto shut off feature.
Available in Electric Titan (Grayish brown hue), Red, Aluminum and Black, the Pixie is the number 1 bestselling super-automatic espresso machine on Amazon. Currently, you can get it for 20% off – don’t know how long it’ll last though! 😉
The main benefit of using this model is the fact it is it compact, meaning it fits perfectly even in a small kitchen. In addition to this, you have control over how strong you want your coffee to be.
These are some of the best espresso machines under 500 dollars, and the reviews should help you make a wise decision when buying one. Always consider the machines functionality and capacity before making an order.